Building and Renovations
A municipal building permit is your formal permission to begin construction, renovation, or demolition of structures on your property. All building plans must comply with the Ontario Building Code and local zoning by-laws. Municipal building permits help ensure that any construction or structural changes are safe and up to code. It is unlawful to start construction or demolition before you get a permit.
You need a municipal building permit if you plan to:
- construct a new building
- renovate, repair or add to a building
- demolish or remove all or a part of a building
- change a building’s use
- install, change or remove partition and load-bearing walls
- make new openings for or increase the size of doors and windows
- build a garage, carport, balcony or deck
- excavate a basement or construct a foundation
- install or change heating, plumbing, air conditioning systems or fireplaces
- reconstruct a chimney
You do not need a municipal building permit to:
- replace existing same-size doors and windows
- build a roofless deck under two feet high that is not attached to a building
- build a utility shed under 107ft2 (10m2) subject to distance from property lines
- erect a small portable car shelter (tarp style, no foundation)
- install eaves trough, provided drainage is contained on your property
- install kitchen or bathroom cabinets without plumbing
- paint or decorate
Please click on the link below relevant to the permit you require.
- Detached Garage/Shed Design Information (to be completed with Building Permit Application)
For more information, please call the Township Office at 476-1451 or the Township’s Chief Building Official, Ken Yanishewski, at 708-9944.
Building permit fees
The fee for the building permit will depend on the scope of the project. The Chief Building Official calculates the fees in accordance with the Permit Fees By-law and is based on the square footage and type of construction.
For all electrical permits and required inspections contact the Electrical Safety Authority at 1-877-372-7233.
Septic field permits
For all septic field and leaching bed installations, permits and inspections contact the Thunder Bay District Health Unit at (807) 625-5900.