O'Connor Township

Country Living at its Best

Phone: 807-476-1451
Email: twpoconn@tbaytel.net

Building and Renovations

Building Permits

NOTICE OF BUILDING CODE O. REG. 451/22 AMENDING O. REG. 332/12: Section 28. Article of Division C of the Regulation is amended by adding the following Sentence:

(6) A shed is exempt from the requirement to obtain a permit under section 8 of the Act and is exempt from compliance with this Code, provided that the shed,

(a) is not more than 15 m2 in gross area,

(b) is not more than one storey in building height,

(c) is not attached to a building or any other structure,

(d) is used only for storage purposes ancillary to a principal building on the lot, and

(e) does not have plumbing.

A Municipal Building Permit  is your formal permission to begin construction, renovation, or demolition of structures on your property.  All building plans must comply with the Ontario Building Code and local zoning by-laws.  Municipal building permits help ensure that any construction or structural changes are safe and up to code.  It is unlawful to start construction or demolition before you get a permit.

You need a Building Permit Application if you plan to:

  • construct a new building
  • renovate, repair or add to a building
  • demolish or remove all or a part of a building
  • change a building’s use
  • install, change or remove partition and load-bearing walls
  • make new openings for or increase the size of doors and windows
  • build a garage, carport, balcony or deck
  • excavate a basement or construct a foundation
  • install or change heating, plumbing, air conditioning systems or fireplaces
  • reconstruct a chimney

You do not need a municipal building permit to:

  • replace existing same-size doors and windows
  • build a roofless deck under two feet high that is not attached to a building
  • build a utility shed under 161.2 ft2 (15m2) subject to distance from property lines
  • erect a small portable car shelter (tarp style, no foundation)
  • install eaves trough, provided drainage is contained on your property
  • install kitchen or bathroom cabinets without plumbing
  • paint or decorate


Please click on the link below relevant to the permit you require.

For more information, you may contact:

Township Office at 807-476-1451 or twpoconn@tbaytel.net, or

Inspector, Martin Tempelman, at 807-630-9726 or cbomartint@gmail.com

Building permit fees

The fee for the building permit will depend on the scope of the project. The Chief Building Official calculates the fees in accordance with the Permit Fees By-law and is based on the square footage and type of construction.  See payment options below.

Electrical permits

For all electrical permits and required inspections contact the Electrical Safety Authority at 1-877-372-7233.

Septic field permits

For all septic field and leaching bed installations, permits and inspections contact the Thunder Bay District Health Unit at (807) 625-5900.

Payment Options

Cash or Cheque

Payments of cash or cheque can be made at the Municipal Office located at 330 Highway 595.  Please do not place cash through the mail slot.  Payments by cheque can also be dropped off through the office mail slot at 330 Highway 595 or mailed to the office at RR #1 Kakabeka Falls, Ontario, P0T 1W0.

Internet Banking

Payments through internet banking or telephone banking can be done by adding the Township of O’Connor as a payee (please contact your financial institution for more information).  Please do not use the same account as for your property tax payments.  Use account number 5816 000 000 99999 0000. Please allow 3 business days for payments to process.  Please allow 3 business days for payments to process.


PLEASE DO NOT USE E-TRANSFER TO MAKE YOUR PAYMENTS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.  The funds are not going into the Township of O’Connor’s bank.   If you have made a payment using this method since October 17, 2023, please contact the office at (807) 476-1451.

PaySimply (to pay by credit card)

Credit Card (Visa, MC, Amex) and PayPal Payments can be completed online for a fee through PaySimply, a secure third-party payment provider.  With PaySimply, you can use everyday payment methods like credit card and PayPal (please allow 3 business days), to pay bills online, or make in-person payments with cash or debit card at any Canada Post outlet.  A convenience fee of 1% to 2.29% applies to cover payment handling and processing charges. To pay your bills in-person at any Canada Post outlet with cash or debit card, first visit PaySimply to generate a QR code to take with you to  Canada Post with your payment.  Please allow 1 business day for processing once payment has been made at Canada Post.